City of Mesa
Upcoming sign code ordinance changes
As a result of the Supreme Court ruling in Reed vs Gilbert, sign codes across the US have changed. Join us at our January 19 meeting and hear from the City of Mesa staff about the changes and how it may impact your business.
A draft of the revised Mesa Sign Code is now available on the City’s website for public review and comment.
Please visit the link below to the City of Mesa webpage for the Sign Code Update (link below) for additional information.
The City invites you to review the draft and provide any comments you have to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The following objectives guided the drafting of the revised Sign Code
Questions or comments about the draft Sign Code can be emailed to: email@example.com
- Address the requirements of the U.S. Supreme Court decision in Reed v. Town of Gilbert;
- Reorganize and reformat the ordinance to be more user-friendly;
- Update requirements for both temporary (portable) and permanent signs;
- Create an ordinance that is effectively ‘content neutral’ by avoiding references to regulations based on sign messages;
- Expand ‘by-right’ options for permanent signs to reduce the need for comprehensive sign plans; and,
- Provide allowances that are roughly equivalent to the existing sign ordinance for temporary (portable) signs.
For general sign code questions pertaining to the existing code please call 480-644-2385 to speak to the Planner of the Day.
For sign permit requirements please call 480-644-4273 or go to: http://mesaaz.gov/business/development-services/commercial-construction
RSVP for this meeting requested.